Senior Partner, Transformation Services
Celeste is an experienced leader in quality and performance improvement with over twenty-five years management in both clinical and operational settings including ten years clinical care practice. Previously, Celeste served as administrative director for Corporate Quality and Safety at Virginia Mason Medical Center where she was responsible for organization-wide quality improvement and patient safety programs and initiatives while providing operational leadership for Employee Health, Infection Prevention and Patient Education.
Celeste has held quality leadership positions in several health systems in Washington and Oregon. She is a certified professional in healthcare quality, has been an Examiner for the Malcolm Baldrige National Quality Award since 2006 and has presented at regional and national conferences, such as the IHI Forum and NPSF Congress.
- Lead redesign and implementation of organization-wide strategic and annual planning processes including completion of an enhanced environmental scanning process to ensure alignment of improvement work with organizational strategic advantages and challenges, introduction of the A3 proposal template that supports Plan-Do-Study-Act thinking, and creation of a prioritization rating process to facilitate focused discussions.
- Directed improvements for Quality Measurement Process resulting in a quality defect decrease from 70% to 1.1%, a 57% increase in customer satisfaction and a 100% improvement in productivity.
- Used Lean methodology to develop and implement a coordinated and effective measurement management system that clearly defined accountabilities and supported successful achievement of organizational quality and safety objectives and adherence to regulatory requirements.
- Developed a methodology for conducting an improvement project cost and benefit analysis to support documentation of financial savings for improving clinical quality and patient safety (Business Case for Quality).
- Implemented systematic processes that enhanced operational effectiveness. Significantly improved measures including overall ease of appointment making, satisfaction with ability to see preferred practitioner, and percentage of primary care practitioners sustaining advanced access.
- Developed first Quality Plan Dashboard, providing “at a glance” view of performance in clinical, service, cost and functional areas related to quality of care and services.
- Recognized educator and keynote speaker on topics such as such as patient safety, quality improvement, operational efficiency and state-of-the-art management methods, Systems Thinking, and Strategic, Financial and Quality Planning.
- Change and transition management
- Strategic planning and deployment
- Organizational assessments
- Facilitation and engagement leadership
- Leadership development
- Process management and improvement
- Quality and patient safety
- Metrics and executive reporting
- Program and project management
- Regulatory compliance
Articles by Celeste
- How Leaders Can Inspire a Culture Shift
- Eliminating Waste to Improve Decontamination and CAUTI Rates
- Using the Nemawashi Gauge to Guide Improvement in Patient Safety
Education & Certifications
- MBA in Healthcare Administration
- Registered Nurse
- Certified Professional of Healthcare Quality
- Virginia Mason Production System® Certified Leader
- Virginia Mason Kaizen Fellow Graduate
- Advanced Training in Experience-Based Design and Innovation
- Training Within Industry Certification
- Certified in Power+Systems Organizational Workshop and When Cultures Meet Workshop
- Certified in University of Michigan’s Lean Healthcare Certificate Program
- Master Examiner for the Malcolm Baldrige National Quality Award