Senior Partner, Transformation Services
Somer Shields, MBA, CMPE
Somer has over 20 years of progressive experience in healthcare operations, leadership, and consulting. She has served as participant and leader on several innovation and design events and brings extensive experience in applying the concepts of World-Class Management, change management, and continuous improvement to the practice of medicine. Somer has advanced training in the Virginia Mason Production System®.
- Led private and non-profit medical practices for over 20 years as a practice manager, director of operations, and medical practice consultant to achieve improved performance in quality outcomes, meeting or exceeding financial targets, and improving the patient and team experience.
- Led major initiatives to implement new and improved services to increase access without compromising quality, improve revenue cycle operations, introduce new technology or automation efficiencies, and develop staff and physicians to their highest potential.
- Led several electronic medical record (EMR) implementations across multiple platforms, including project and change management.
- Expert financial analyst with extensive experience in revenue cycle management.
- As a medical practice consultant, worked with physicians to build independent practices from the ground up and served as a healthcare administrator to ensure a successful launch of their new practice. Also provided assessment and recommendations for workflow improvements, financial audits and revenue cycle services.
- Led multiple space planning, design, and construction projects, including a 30,000 square foot medical facility built from concept to fully operational using Virginia Mason Production System® design and flow principles – resulting in a 33% increase in annual visits with no increase in exam room space and measurable improvements in staff and patient satisfaction.
- Strategic planning, visioning, and goal setting
- Cultural alignment
- Project and program management
- People and organizational change management
- Business process optimization and design
- Retreat facilitation
- Space planning and design
- Revenue cycle improvement
- Professional development
Education & Certifications
- MBA, Healthcare Management
- BS, Business Administration
- CMPE, Board Certified with American College of Medical Practice Executives
- Virginia Mason Production System®