Advanced Process Improvement Training
(Advanced Lean Training)
Deepen your process improvement expertise
This virtual or in-person interactive certificate program uses experiential, hands-on learning techniques to guide participants in practicing process improvement knowledge and skills.
Throughout the learning experience, participants receive value-added coaching and performance feedback provided by expert health care instructors versed in clinical and administrative process improvement excellence.
This program will give you an understanding of:
How the principles, tools, and methods of the Virginia Mason Production System® (VMPS) support improving patient care, including:
- The importance of distinguishing between value-added and non-value-added activities.
- Root causes of errors and techniques to pursue zero defects.
- Utilization of rapid testing cycles to improve processes.
- Visual tools like value stream maps that communicate the patient experience.
- The benefits and application of the principles of continuous flow.
This program will enable you to:
- Utilize the advanced skills necessary to teach, coach and mentor the principles, methods and tools of VMPS.
- Apply your learnings and realize the value of methods like VMPS through a process improvement project where all of your application exercises will be directed.
- Lead practical improvement work with your team.
Who Should Attend:
Process improvement (lean) leaders, coaches, specialists and enthusiasts. This class is designed for those who wish to lead, teach and apply process improvement techniques to business processes with an emphasis on the health care setting. It is a fast-paced, advanced class for those responsible for improvement work, or interested in developing a systems approach to performance and process improvement. A time commitment to completing the coursework is required. Previous experience is not required, but will be useful.
Virginia Mason Institute certificate of completion
In-Person or Virtual:
Choose between an in-person experience or a completely virtual experience, both offering the same great curriculum to help you develop your knowledge and skill set.
Note: This virtual program is being offered at a special introductory price and class size will be limited to optimize time for all participants to receive personalized feedback and coaching.
- 9-week certificate program
- 10 live virtual learning sessions
- Virtual cohort-based learning with group interaction and virtual networking opportunities
- 1-on-1 virtual coaching and feedback
- Flexible online learning model to fit your timeline and objectives
Note: The in-person experience is a separate offering from the virtual experience.
- 2 multi-day sessions (7 days total) plus intersession
- In-person facilitation with a cohort-based learning model and networking opportunities
- Personalized in-person coaching
Virtual Participant Testimonials:
“The course material is brought alive by a skillful and thought provoking teacher. The material was always made relevant to my situation and applying the tools across one piece of work over the 10 weeks really helped to deepen my learning. The range of material and its applicability in Covid environment was illustrated and the process whilst certainly requiring a commitment from those attending was hugely rewarding.”
“The virtual experience was excellent. Hands-on field work was really helpful to apply the concepts. Nice balance of content teaching, interaction, activities and field work.”
“The virtual format worked extremely well and I always felt connected to the material group and Chris our sensei. Very accomplished program which ignited my appetite to learn more and deepen my knowledge.”
“The course material was of a high standard and all the logistics were well prepared. Even more impressive as it was the first online version of the course. Chris is a highly knowledgeable, personable, articulate and fluent facilitator ”
Join Our Next Cohort
Advanced Process Improvement Training (Virtual)
February 1, 2021 @ 7:30 am – April 2, 2021 @ 8:30 am
Note for UK residents: Please use this registration link to register for the February 1 cohort: